The players build words on the game board, trying to achieve the highest total score.
The first word must cover the center square of the board.
Each player must play off of words already present on the board and place 1 to 7 new tiles in a vertical or horizontal line at the game board.
Playing all 7 letter tiles in a single turn brings the additional score bonus of 15 points.
Colored squares double or tripple the letter («2L» and «3L») or word scores («2W» and «3W»). However they only multiply scores once, at the first use. First the letter multipliers are applied and then the word ones.
There are 2 blank tiles in the game, which can substitute any letter.
After each play, the player receives new letter tiles from the pile, so that there are 7 tiles at the hand again.
The game is over when a player has no more tiles at the hand. The leftover letter tiles at the hand of the other player are dismissed.
If the both players pass or swap each 2 times in a row, the game ends.
Question: Why do players have so much time for each turn, why not reduce it to few minutes?
Answer: The quite long time of up to 24 hours per move allows each player to play the best words without any hurry. To avoid waiting for a single opponent it is recommended to start several games at once.
Question: Why are valid words sometimes not accepted?
Answer: Please ensure that the new letter tiles at the game board do touch the old ones and build a single line.
Question: How is the player rating calculated?
Answer: The Elo rating for each player is calculated by the same method as in international chess: winning against a strong opponent scores higher than winning against a weaker one.
Greetings dear players!
My name is Alex, I am from Riga in Latvia – but live in Germany since 1990:
Besides coffee and candy I love literature and programming – and I develop the «Words by Farber» game in my leisure time.
My goals are:
- A large dictionary: with over 276000 English words and a possibility for app users to report or add new words.
- Fair play: there is no pay to win in my game, i.e. it is not possible to buy blank tiles or hints. It is not possible to swap tiles and perform a move at the same time either.
- Player communication: I plan to display extensive player profiles with game stats and photos. At the same time I ban aggressive users from my game.
- No ads: ads and analytics in apps degrade the performance and spy on the users. I refuse to integrate such products into my game.
- Native app: also for performance reasons – my mobile app does not use development frameworks and is written in Java for Android.
As you see my plans for the game are quite extensive, while I only work an hour per day on it. So please have some patience with me ?
P.S. Latvia experts will immediately recognize, where the favorite hamster of my daughter is sitting: